You can see the presentation video here:
N_electronics reflow oven controller allows you to convert any domestic toaster oven in a powerful SMD soldering machine. The idea behind this project is to build an inexpensive and simple SMD soldering oven.
Reflow ovens are normally quite expensive equipments costing many thousands of dollars, for small developers or hobbyists the cost of this ovens is often too high. The problem is also linked to the components available as many components nowadays are only available in really small packages not ready for hand soldering, so developing professional pcbs is getting more and more difficult for hobbyists as the number of new components available in through-hole packages is getting smaller.
Principle of operation of this controller is quite simple. The controller is equipped with a temperature sensor that has to be placed in the soldering area inside the oven, and a 0-5v PWM output. To control the temperature the oven will modify the PWM output following the changes in temperature. This PWM output must be connected to a Solid State Relay that will cut/connect the 230Vac supply of our toaster oven.
This controller will be able to control a low cost toaster oven and convert it in a reflow oven with many of the functions of a professional reflow oven, like:
- Temperature and time control over the 4 soldering phases.
- Control over the USB port of a computer.
- High precision temperature sensor, k-type thermocouple.
- Data-logging of the temperature vs time and store in a txt file (easily convertible to a excel chart).
- Temperature regulation using PID controllers.
- Plug and play.
- Windows compatible PC program.
- Non need for power supply, the power supply is available from the PC USB port.
- PWM output for solid state relays.
- 4 different programmable soldering profiles.
Here you can see some photos of the results when soldering with this oven. The resistors and capacitors you see in this photos are in the format 0603 (2 x 0.8 mm).
Microchips in these photographs have a pin to pin distance of 0.5mm.